Thursday, August 13, 2015

August 8 2015 Moriches Inlet New York Spearfishing Report - Rob Navratil

Report Contributor : Rob Navratil

Report Date: August 8 2015:

Area: Moriches Inlet - NY

Visibility - Great



I did a last minute unplanned dive in Moriches on Saturday. The vis was awesome 15' + and clean on the top of incoming- beginning of outgoing. Lots of bait in the water and tons of life along the rock jetty. The inlet has been loaded with juvenile seabass all summer and this is the first year in 10+years of diving that inlet that I've seen scup around. I hit my secret fluke spots in 6ft of water and managed to get my 5 fish limit with the biggest fluke 23". The trigger fish seemed to be educated this late in the season and they bail out into the closest cave once they spot a diver. I got one trigger and also found a nice fat seabass. Once the tide picked up I checked out the normal bass spot and had a good school of solid fish hanging outside of the current. I got a good shot on a 34 pound bass which is a trophy for Moriches and especially for in August. Shore diving along the jetty in  Moriches has been very productive this season. I can't wait until tog season opens up, there are some giant white chins that like to taunt me where I go near their rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment