Monday, June 20, 2016

June 19th & 20th Lobster Diving Report from Cape Cod Bay - Mike Chace

Day: Saturday June 19, 2016
Location: Cape Cod Bay side of Cape Cod
Report Contributor: Mike Chace
Conditions: a 9 out of 10.

Met up with a good friend for some freediving for lobsters in Cape Cod Bay. We arrived at 9:00 am to a flat sea, perfectly sunny morning with slight NE breeze on a flood tide. The tide was high as we entered mother ocean to find she had gifted us with some beautiful conditions. Vertical visibility was about 20 feet and calm waters. We were pleased to find there was many more keeper size male lobsters in the general area than just 2 weeks ago.  A few hours of some hunting in some gorgeous scenery resulted in 17 keepers between my dive buddy and myself. Noticeable was the lack of large Jonah Crabs that were here two weeks ago... gone. A few small ones scattered about. My dive bud got a swarmed in a school of 30 lb class bass he could only watch as they seemed to be looking for all the sand eels that seemed to be present this week. The flood tide kept it really high most of the afternoon making the conditions stick for the rest of the afternoon. A couple of cold ones to celebrate back at the homestead and I washing off my gear and changing my plans for Sunday to head back to the same general area and try another spot.

Saturday's catch 2 divers:

Day: Sunday June 20, 2016
Location: Cape Cod Bay side of Cape Cod

Conditions: a 10 out of 10.

We arrived by boat at a different location and suited up hoping the conditions had stuck around over night and the ocean would be just as nice as the previous day. Today we planned to scout out a few new locations with the boat and not stay too long at either one spot. We jumped in to find it was even better conditions than the previous day with gin clear 25 ft + vertical visibility with 50 ft + horizontal visibility over the sandy bottom as we kicked in to the shoreline to find some rocks over the sand the bugs like some much. The conditions were so superb, the lobsters plenty and the ocean life so beautiful we could not help be in awe of what a lucky day was to be there, take it it... and appreciate it. Had the opportunity to shoot a decent tautog for my Captain and harvested him who requested one. Again the striped bass were today were working the edge of the rockweed beds at high tide with schools of fish in he 20-30 lb class not spooked too much by your presence, quite a cool experience. About four hours and 58 drops later my legs were exhausted from two days of diving and decided to head home with another nice catch. Father's Day dinner was baked stuffed lobsters for the family,  I will share the recipe in my next Cooking the Catch post.

My catch Sunday:


I I have always been in love with freediving for lobsters so I looked forward to this time of year as much as I look forward to spearfishing each Spring. Now that I could dedicate two wonderful days in a row to my passion and get the "bugs" out of my system (so to speak) I can dedicate the next couple of trips back in the RI area looking for some decent bass. Thanks to some great dive buddies for a great weekend and mother ocean for gifting us with a pair of stellar days and diving experiences.

If you enjoy diving in the big bay... It is here. Set aside some time for a dive with favorite dive buddies and get in before the weather pattern switches and screws up the conditions that are there right now.

Cheers,
Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment