Friday, May 19, 2017

May 18, 2017 Narragansett Bay Spearfishing Report - Ricardo Cruelles



Date: 5/18/2017 
Location: Narraganssett Bay
Report Contributor: Ricardo Cruelles

A QUICK LUNCH BREAK DIVE!

When the mercury hit 99 today in RI’s Capital City, I knew it was time to get down bay and hop in for a quick lunchtime dive. I met up with @roosterman at the agreed upon spot, we suited up and jumped in, not wasting any time. 

The water temp was about 56 degrees, very comfortable with a 5mm suit, viz was very nice for the bay, although when the tide started ripping in it went dark quickly.


On the way to one of my faithful spots, I decided to dive under some structure and, much to my surprise, a legal bass came at me like a WWII Kamikaze….. BANG! That was definitely his last mission! A nice start with an early bass in the stringer. I continued on with my swim and made a few dives on decent piles of fish. We were being selective so we made a few more dives before taking our limits of tog. One of the fish went to 9lbs today.

The wind and the tide kicked up and we knew it was time to get back to work, but not before harvesting enough mussels for a nice meal. Mike was on a mission to win a bet he had going with boys, apparently the 1st one to get a Sea Robin was to be the winner, well, he nailed a nice one within 5 minutes of being in the water!


Weather looks ok this weekend, with the exception of some wind moving in, I say find some lee and get in there! It is definitely fishy out there and the water is starting to warm up nicely. Lots of schoolie size bass with the occasional larger fish mixed in, I even saw a couple schools of scup today!
Thanks to @roosterman for couple of the pics and congrats on some tasty sea robin table fair.

Pura Vida!
Ricardo

No comments:

Post a Comment