Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Diver Bio - Dave Gleeson


Growing up on Aquidneck Island in Rhode Island, the majority of my time was spent on the water from a very young age. I taught myself to freedive and spearfish at the age of 15, and fell in love with the sport immediately. I’ve done hundreds of dives in the 8 years since, hunting striped bass and tautog in the murky waters of Newport and New England.

I studied Marine Biology at the University of Rhode Island as a way to continue spending as much time on the water as possible. I graduated from URI in 2015, but not before I traveled to Chile, Antarctica and the Caribbean on research expeditions. It was on these expeditions that I realized my affinity for photography, which is a talent I’ve practiced in conjunction with my freediving in order to share unique perspectives of the ocean that I love. As a self taught photographer who specializes in seascapes and ocean photography, my work has been featured on the cover of Newport Life Magazine and various storefronts in downtown Newport. I am now enrolled in URI’s Graduate School of Oceanography, currently pursuing a Master’s Degree in Oceanography, and diving whenever I possibly can!

No comments:

Post a Comment