Saturday, July 8, 2017

July 5, 2017 Newport Spearfishing Report - Dave Gleeson



Date: 7/5/17
Location: Newport RI
Water Temp: 68
Vis: 15-20ft

Light winds and calm seas had me hoping for clear water off Newport this week, and didn’t disappoint. Visibility ranged from 15 to over 20 ft in some areas, with plenty of life in the water. My 3mm suit is now perfect for a full day of diving, and I couldn’t be happier to hang up the 5mm in exchange for nearly half the restriction and bulk.


 
Schools of 25-30 inch fish were out in force, but I was after a big bass, and I let a few keeper fish swim by in hope of running into something bigger.  Distracted by a few schoolies during one dive, I missed what proved to be my only chance at a larger bass when I failed to notice it until it had swam past me. 



Black seabass were around from 25-35 feet, and I took two nice fish that I could not pass up. Usually, I wouldn’t have chanced having an unloaded gun while hunting for striper, but the humphead seabass were too tempting.

Dive Safe,
Dave
www.davegleeson.com

Firday's dive produced a bass, report coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment