Thursday, July 27, 2017

July 26, 2017 Spearfishing Report - Westport, MA

Date: 7/26/2017
Location: Westport, MA
Conditions: Flat
Visibility: 6 + ft

Short report. Had a new diver that needed a dive buddy to get him acquainted with his new gear and show him some in water instruction. Finally had some time yesterday to get out with him and headed to Westport for a shore dive.

After I could tell he had it down and was on the hunt I decided to look around myself as i trailed him. The water was 65 degreesand i was in my 3.5 mm Mares Instinct Wetsuit. .Visibility was around 6 foot vertically with a moderate amount of particulates in the water to cloud it up, but huntable. As we got out to 20-25 ft depth it cleared up pretty well underneath. Lots of borderline e to just over legal tautog were about, some schoolie bass, small bluefish, small scup and couple of small black sea bass. Nothing i didn't have to question myself harvesting so i held off.

After crossing a wide sandy patch I noticed a few large rocks on the bottom and dropped down to have a look see.Rounding the side i noticed there was was a nice overhang facing the ocean side and underside washed out, Immediately a fish darted and left a cloudy mess in its wake. I held out waiting for the cloud to clear and got lucky as one of the fish that had spooked circled and came back around for a look at me.  I immediately noticed it was the biggest seen so far on this dive. The HammerHead Raptor 95 cm held true as always and strung him through the eyes. I called over my dive buddy who was curious as to handle them after you shoot one. Showed him how to string them, pith them, reload and repeat lol.



The wind started to kick up and visibility decrease so after a few we called it a day and headed in.
Westport always seems to hold some decent fish and a wide variety of species. I hope to catch it on another day this week to catch up with the bluefish i was actually looking to harvest.

Back home I had a new scale to test out so this tautog at 25 + inches was a good one to try it out. Well 8.8 lbs, a decent tautog for a shore dive in July.

Live Well, Get Wet, Dive Safe
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment